Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Doing A Little More

Earth Day 2008 will be here next week and it is time to take stock of our individual efforts with regard to conservation and the environment. Sunday I saw a show in the National Geographic Channel, which will be repeated tonight. It was called "The Human Footprint". This link will take you to an article I wrote describing the show. In sum, they laid out visually the impact that a human has over a lifetime on the environment from birth to death. In the article "Earth Day 2008: Time To Do More", I explained a few simple things that my family was doing to make a small difference. Since then, we have purchased another multi-pack of CFC light bulbs and replaced over 50% of them in our house. We have also purchased the reusable supermarket bags made from recycled materials, in order to save regular supermarket plastic bags. In the big picture it's not all that much, but it is a start. Talk to your kids too. I have found mine to be more receptive and helpful than I imagined. You don't have to be a "tree hugger" to recognize your responsibility to join the effort to improve our planet. After all, it's the only one we have.

No comments: