Monday, April 14, 2008

Love And Marriage

A 76 year old Serbian farmer and his wife of 45 years were recently divorced and the court ordered that the man had to part with half his assets. At home here in America or in other Countries abroad, this is a common and fair award by the court. After all, they were married for 45 years. So he gave her half of everything...literally. Apparently upset that he had to part with half of his farm machinery too, he did what any one of us would do when faced with such an unfair ruling. He used a grinder to cut the farm machines in half. I grant you that his actions were a little extreme, but on a serious note, it does remind me of some other unfair property settlements my friends and family have endured over the years. In my own divorce there were elements of the property settlement that I considered grossly unfair. Of course when all is said and done in the court of law, somebody is sure to feel slighted. That said, I think the laws concerning property and divorce in the U.S. could stand a little review and modification. After all, what is this Serbian farmer without his farming equipment? A little bitter here is what the man had to say; "I still haven't decided how to split the cow," she should just say what she wants the part with the horns or the part with the tail." If your ever in the U.S. I want to buy you a beer my Serbian friend. Makes you wonder what happened to cause the split. I would wager there that is a good story as well.

No comments: