Sunday, April 20, 2008

He's Not "The Boss" Of Me

Celebrity endorsements of Presidential Candidates have plunged me into the newly discovered tenth circle of my personal hell. Many times I have made the case that celebrities should stay out of the political arena, and if you are swayed by their opinion, you are an idiot. That is harsh and I am sorry, but if your political opinion is in any part formed by what Elton John thinks, then the aforementioned applies. Speaking of Sir Elton, last week in the article "Madman Across The Water", I pummeled the artist for his benefit concert for, and public endorsement of, Senator Hillary Clinton for President. I also made it clear that Elton John was one of my all time favorite musical artists and that has not changed. My absolute favorite music artist has been and always will be Bruce Springsteen. Springsteen is a fellow New Jerseyian and I have always felt his music was the soundtrack of my life. That is why I am so disappointed at his very public endorsement of Senator Barack Obama. Springsteen has become increasingly and openly political in recent years, appearing with Candidate John Kerry back in 2004. As a veteran of many fantastic Springsteen live concerts, I have always been aware that political issues are not far from Bruce's mind. In the past he would express his political point of view through song. Though different than my own, Springsteen's political views were powerful when weaved into his brilliant songs. I have always took notice and respected them. At times, his songs even forced me to contemplate my position. Bruce, one Jersey Guy to another; your power to change the world is most effectively expressed by your music. All of these celebrity endorsements are making me feel uncomfortable in my American Skin.

No comments: