Monday, April 21, 2008

Pain At The Pump

Is the price of gas killing you too? It's absolutely maddening. Locally, gas prices have been rising by 8-10 cents overnight, every night for the last few days. Where I live we are close to the $3.50 dollar mark for a gallon of regular gas. Where the hell is the Federal Government on gas prices? All I can hear is crickets in Washington. I Googled to find news on the gas issue and what our elected officials are working on to help us, and guess what I found; nothing. The only thing that did turn up was Senator McCain's ill conceived "Gas Tax Holiday" that I discussed in my article "Poly-Tics As Usual". I suppose to the wealthy, even a dollar a gallon increase in gas prices does not seem like all that much. Since most if not all of our elected officials are very wealthy, I think that they really do not understand what high gas prices are doing to the working class. The price at the pump is only half of the picture. Rising fuel costs have also lead to the rising cost of most goods and services. When you hear those crickets in Washington, it's the sound of an out of touch group of lawmakers who just do not understand what it's like to be you or me. It would be nice to see some "working class people" in Washington. The problem is we simply can't afford to buy an election......or the gas to drive there.

No comments: