Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Save Our Park

I have hesitated in writing about any local issues for a number of reasons. First and foremost, I realized that if your potential audience is the entire Country, or even the world, people might not be interested. Also, my intention in creating this blog, was to write about National and Global issues. After all, the blog's title is My Grandfathers America. In this case I will make an exception because I believe this story could have a National implications. The Governor of New Jersey Jon Corzine (D), has slated 9 of our State Parks to close or reduce their services, as part of his State Budget cuts. While I am mad enough to chew through steel, I am also deeply sad and consumed with a sense of helplessness. Seeing what is taking place in my State and Country, has me gravely concerned for our future. Of course your now thinking, all of this over a couple of State Parks? That would be a fair question so allow me to explain. First the obvious: The budget cuts will leave the millions of park visitors with no park. Today being Earth Day, we must understand that if you want people to appreciate and respect nature, then they must have access to it. Also, 80 park workers will lose their jobs. Now the ridiculous: The State Park closings will save New Jersey about 4.5 million dollars next year. The State Budget will be at least 33 Billion dollars! The State Park's closing will only save a mere drop in the fiscal budget. The savings is negated by the impact on the laid off workers and our quality of life. Lastly the National tragedy: Among the State Parks slated to close, there are a few that are built around historic sites. The most tragic target on Governor Corzine's hit list is Monmouth Battlefield State Park. I am a frequent visitor to this beautiful park, set on the site of The Battle of Monmouth that took place during the American Revolutionary War. I have always wondered, given the importance of this land, why Monmouth Battlefield was not part of our National Park System. It should be after all, the Battle of Monmouth was one of the most important and pivotal of the Revolution.
I have signed the petition circulating to save the park and many concerned New Jersey residents have joined the effort. My opinion of Governor Corzine was not very high to begin with, but this act is unforgivable. The Governor is filthy rich (like most of our elected officials) and does not care if the peasants have their park. This is what I can not get my mind around. How can you even think about closing this park? If I were President I would land my helicopter Marine 1, right inside the park and Federalize the land. That land has been paid for with the blood of our forefathers and belongs to the people. What does all of this say about our Government? Could it happen in your State? What would George Washington, the Father of our Country say?

No comments: