Thursday, April 3, 2008

We Did Not Hate Our Country

When I began this blog about two weeks ago, I had two ideas in mind. First, I wanted to find a forum that would allow me to add my voice to the chorus of opinions on today's many important issues. I also desired to take look at current events from a different angle; through my Grandfather's eyes. Hence My Blog: My Grandfather's America. Pop is a member of what Tom Brokaw dubbed, "The Greatest Generation"; the World War II Generation. Today I had the opportunity to go and visit my Pop for the first time since I began this Blog. While we sat and caught up on how things are, I had it in mind to ask him how it used to be. This is not the first time that we spoke of events from years past. He seems to do that more now since my dear Grandmother passed away a few years ago. Also I was always fascinated learning about history first hand. Discovering those intangibles that you can not get out of a history book. He still remembers exactly what he was doing when President Kennedy was shot. My Grandfather is and always was a simple and direct man. In knowing him you also realize just how much quiet pondering and careful consideration he gives to everything he says. Today we spoke about the immigration issue. Pop gave me his bottom line; "My parents came in through Ellis Island. I have nothing against these people (immigrants), but why is it not still like that?" I had no answer for him outside of a few minor arguments about the complexity of the issue, so I held my tongue.
The conversation bounced around from there. We talked about upcoming doctor visits, baseball, the war in Iraq, the election, and other current events. I could hear some emotion in my Grandfather's voice when, after a long silence, he said "I'll tell you one things for sure, we did not hate our country. People were against the war and did not like how things were going but I never heard people say God damm America back then" There is a simple yet powerful lesson in his words that we should all take notice of.

No comments: