Sunday, April 6, 2008

Shame On McCain

I only learned yesterday that Senator and Presidential Candidate John McCain voted against the creation of a Martin Luther King Federal Holiday in 1983. This came as quite a surprise for me because of his tendency to vote a little left of the Conservative right. Senator McCain apologized last Friday on the 40th anniversary of Dr. King's assassination. McCain said that he made a "mistake" and that "we all make mistakes". Well this was a huge mistake, however the Senator is right. I say he among us whom has not made a mistake should cast the first stone. If only that was the entire story I could return to the idea that I have decided to settle on voting for John McCain this fall. Other reasons aside, the two Democratic hopefuls politics are too far apart from mine to ever earn my vote. I was not jumping for joy at the prospect of McCain as the Republican nominee but I was content; until now. I have always respected John McCain's courage and service in the Military and in the Congress. I even admire that he voted his conscience even if it was against the establishment or popular opinion. The fact that I am considering now, is the issue is not just one apology, for one mistake, for one bad vote. In 1987 when Arizona rescinded the State's MLK holiday, McCain said it was the right move. McCain's State Arizona, was the second to last to recognize the holiday. In fairness to Senator McCain he reversed his opinion in 1989 amidst public outcry. Also in 1994 McCain voted against funding the Martin Luther King Holiday Commission. I have always considered myself to be fair. If I am to hold Obama accountable for Rev. Wright, and Clinton for her wild exaggerations of the truth, then McCain's feet must be put to the flame too. Perhaps Senator McCain's best defense was when he said "I’d remind you that … we can all be a little late sometimes in doing the right thing and Dr. King understood this about his fellow Americans,” This I believe is true, however the Senator needs to take public responsibility for all the elements of this story and offer a more complete explanation. If only we had a few more options this fall. You can read about my thoughts on a viable third political party in the story "We Need More Choices".

No comments: