Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Earth Day 2008 Time To Do A Little More

Earth Day 2008 is Tuesday April 22, just about three weeks away. All over the world and in cities across the United States, events will take place to heighten awareness of environmental issues. The largest environmental issue of course is climate change attributed to human activity. The experts seem to disagree as to what degree that human activity has had on the climate if at all. I have always been an avid recycler. For years I have made a point to save and recycle items beyond what my town requires. I also talk to my children on a regular basis about conservation and the environment. I find that they become very engaged in these conversations because of the extent that their schools are making environmental issues a part of their education. Now with that in mind, I am not a "tree hugger". It just always seemed like common sense to do these things. I find it hard to believe that human activity has not made a significant impact on our environment especially since the industrial revolution. Where you are sitting right now was probably a forest at one time and there are more than six billion people sitting somewhere right now. Last weekend, I took my children to a local state park that we frequently visit. We walked into a remote section a little off the trails where we never had explored before. My daughter spotted something high in a distant tree that looked like a large bird. We like to pick out large birds nests, animal burrows, and other natural wonders as we go along. When we got close enough to the tree we realized that our "bird" was a large plastic bag caught on a high branch and blowing in the breeze. I realized then that I could do at least a little more, not so much for myself, but for the three young lives in front of me. Even if it only amounts to a few petitions I sign and buying some more funky looking light bulbs, this Earth Day I am going to do a little more. I hope that you will do the same. No less than the world is at stake.

Here is a link to a good Earth Day webstite for more information

No comments: