Friday, April 25, 2008

Fly The Un-Friendly Skies

Warning: The following post contains some mature content that might not be suitable for everyone. Now with that out of the way, air travel these days really pisses me off. I completely understand the realities of the world in the post 911 era, but you can take anything too far. I don't mind the longer wait or having to take my shoes off. It's alright by me to be patted down by officers and have my belongings searched. I can even barely tolerate the silly carry-on restricted items such as nail clippers. I will give up some of my privacy rights and go through the nudie scanner that shows my kibbles and bits, but like all power and authority it will always be taken too far. A woman had an "incident" while trying to board a plane in Texas. She walked through the large metal detector without a problem, but caught the attention of a smaller metal detector in the hands of an security officer. The woman told the security officer that she had nipple piercings. Even though that is embarrassing enough, she voluntarily offered to show a female officer her nipple piercings in a private setting because they are difficult to remove. She was told by officers that her nipple piercings had to be removed before boarding the flight, and they provided her with a pair of pliers to assist in the job. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA), a Government Agency responsible for airport security, said in a statement, that in future cases passengers can either allow a visual inspection of their piercings, or remove them. Again, I am aware of the clear and present danger in our world today, but I feel that this is a violation of our civil rights. The virtual strip search cameras are go far enough in my opinion without having to bare all for security officers. What were they worried that she was going to take over a plane with just her nipple piercings? Stand back I know how to use these! It's just another day, and another one of our rights is going away.

No comments: