Sunday, April 6, 2008

We Are Just Way Too Sensitive

I am convinced that there is a faction within every race, group, sex, or other organization that is on standby alert. Like a fully fueled aircraft on the tarmac at the full ready, these people launch in protest of the slightest offense. Comedian and Tonight Show Host Jay Leno apologized last Tuesday for remarks he made that apparently offended the gay community. Let me just get the fact straight that comedians by definition are supposed to be amusing and not to be taken seriously. During an interview with actor Ryan Phillippe, Leno asked the actor; "Can you give me your 'gayest look?' ". Leno was referring to a role Phillippe had once played on a soap opera in which his character was gay. With respect to our politically correct times , we are getting way too sensitive. Leno said he was sorry in a statement; "I certainly didn't mean any malice. I agree it was a dumb thing to say, and I apologize." As I stated in "Give Me A Break Please" , if you are looking hard enough for something you will likely find it even where it does not really exist. If everybody exercised perfect care in their thoughts and speech, and all of the "ism's" or "phobes" were no more, would we all be happy. Ironically the self appointed watchdogs of everything that is said would be most disappointed. The would be out of a job.

No comments: