Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Giving Credit Where Due

With the exception of one or two articles, I have been critical of Democratic Senator and Presidential Candidate Barack Obama. I say again that Obama's politics and my own are very different, but it is time to give credit where it is due. I thought that Obama's speech yesterday concerning Reverend Wright, though overdue, was absolutely courageous. My opinion of Obama has been in sharp decline in view of some of the Senator's own statements, and his associations with certain groups and people. After yesterdays speech, I am taking another look at the man and say that he has earned some of my respect back. Barack Obama said yesterday; "I cannot prevent him from continuing to make these outrageous remarks, but what I do want him to be very clear about...is that when I say I find these comments appalling, I mean it. It contradicts everything that I'm about and who I am." Obama's statement was a very strong, and finally a clear rebuke of Rev. Wright's outrageous comments. Obama went on to say; "Whatever relationship I had with Reverend Wright has changed as a consequence of this." For a Politician it does not get more direct that this. Senator Obama went even further than this, when perhaps he did not have to. Obama showed that he understands how the majority of the population feel about Rev. Wright's statements when he said; "His comments were not only divisive and destructive but I believe that they end up giving comfort to those who prey on hate." Some, including Rev. Wright himself, have suggested that Obama was pandering for the sake of votes in his strong denunciation of the Reverend. I do not think that is the case. Obama risks much by taking this stance. He risks alienating his base, of which many are inclined to support the Reverend Wright. Whatever his true reasons were, I think we should all take the high road and compliment Barack Obama for doing what politicians rarely do; take responsibility and tell the truth.

No comments: