Thursday, April 3, 2008

Immigration: Losing The Middle Ground

Last week when I wrote "Immigration Middle Ground" , I was searching for some aspects of the debate that both sides could perhaps agree upon. A quick summary of my position on immigration would be to say that I lean towards the "Conservatives" perspective. I did however, recognize some points that were more in line with the pro-immigration opinion. Whenever there is a bitter dispute, the solution will undoubtedly require a healthy dose of compromise. In my opinion the Conservatives have the high ground in this argument. For one thing the law is on their side. I would argue common sense as well. Secure the border first then discuss the rest. I touched on some things last week that hurt the very cause that the immigrants and their supporters champion. Waving the flags of other nations and demanding rights instead of asking for privileges to name a few. I would add to that list two very disturbing developments. The first is the ever increasing labeling of anti-immigration advocates as racists. Admittedly, some probably are. The majority are American Citizens expressing their point of view. There is nothing inherently racist about that and like the little boy who cried wolf it damages your credibility. Secondly, San Francisco's sanctuary policy for illegal immigrants will be promoted in an advertising campaign using taxpayer money! This is a complete outrage that will ultimately draw the ire of more Americans who are on the fence on immigration (pardon the pun).

No comments: