Monday, April 7, 2008

Vive La France

If you had told me that I would be writing an article praising the French a few years ago I would have laughed(and I am part French). French President Nicolas Sarkozy said a few weeks ago that his Country would consider a boycott of this year's Olympic Games over China's harsh crackdown on the protesters in Tibet. I have had a good feeling about Sarkozy since he took office last year and announced that he desired to work closer with The United States. Today protesters in Paris disrupted the Olympic Torch relay ultimately forcing the Chinese organizers to finally give up. The French are leading the way in focusing the attention of the world on the Tibetan issue. As a Nation, we need to speak in a unified voice and float the prospect of a boycott as well. In earlier posts, I discussed the negative effects of an Olympic boycott on the athletes and the world's spirit of brotherhood. I also made the point that any effort must be from a coalition of Nations. Only then is there a chance that the Chinese will take notice. It is unfortunate to lower the Olympic Games into the realm of politics. What the people of Tibet are enduring is considerably worse.

Please Also Read:

Beijing Boycott

Tragedy In Tibet

No comments: