Tuesday, April 29, 2008

We Did Not Have To Struggle Like You Do

All things considered, today was a very good day. I had the time to go and take a long visit with my Grandfather. In an earlier post "We Did Not Hate Our Country", I explained my original intentions and mindset when I created this Blog. To sum it up; I wanted to find a forum that would allow me to add my voice to the chorus of opinions on today's many important issues. I also desired to take look at current events from a different angle; through my Grandfather's eyes. So today Pop and I spent some time wondering if the Yankees young pitchers were going to get their game on track, and talking about the issues of the day. Pop reads the entire newspaper every day and watches a lot of television news (and Yankee games). So for 86 years old, he really has a handle on what is happening now. There is a lot of things going on right now, but one of the foremost on my mind is the rapidly rising price of food and fuel. I was discussing this with Pop, when he delivered the one sentence cuts to the heart of the matter and bridges the gap between his generation and mine. In fact it was Pop's unique way of doing this very thing, that gave me the idea for this Blog. Speaking about today's economy, Pop said; "we did not have to struggle like you do". He explained that in his time a man (one parent) could find a job that paid well enough to provide for his family. Pop went on to say that most in the neighborhood were not wealthy, but everyone had all the things that they needed. He told me that his job provided for all his family's needs and he had enough leftover for family vacations. Pop worked for 40+ years in a steel fabrication plant. He felt it was a shame to see guys like me work two jobs, or to have our wives work, leaving the children to daycare. When you hear Pop distill this complex social and economic American history lesson down into such a concise thought, it really speaks volumes about where we were, and where we are headed. One thing's for sure, we are not living in My Grandfather's America.

No comments: