Saturday, June 14, 2008

Discovery Home Safe

As I watched the Space Shuttle Discovery land today with my kids, I suddenly realized just how old the Shuttle is. I can remember watching Shuttle launches and landings in grade school. Watching the Space Shuttle take off and land never gets boring for me. I am still amazed by how the massive undertaking of a shuttle mission is made to appear easy by the talented people at NASA. When watching the Shuttle launches and landings, the Challenger and Columbia tragedies are never far from my mind. On the day of the Challenger accident I happened to be home from school sick. I was around 12 years old at the time, and seeing the Challenger explosion live on television is something that I can never forget. The prayers of many Americans fly with the brave crews of the Space Shuttle on every mission. I think it may be time to update our 30 year old Shuttle fleet. After all, most of us do not even have cars that are half that age.

No comments: