Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Belated Flag Day

Well I missed it again! Yesterday June 14, was Flag Day. Just like every year on the same date. I don't know what it is about Flag Day that seems to give me temporary amnesia. Luckily, we fly our Flag most of the spring and summer so I was covered. If you own and fly an American Flag (and I hope that you do if you're an American), you will get a little booklet with the Flag that lists the days on which it should be displayed. As you might have guessed, Flag Day is an important one. So what exactly is Flag Day? It commemorates the adoption of the Our Flag which happened by a resolution of the Second Continental Congress in 1777. Flag Day is not an official Federal Holiday, but should it be? It is a pretty important day in our Nation's history. I think that Americans of my generation are ready to see a new Federal Holiday created. The only one in my lifetime was Martin Luther King Jr. day, and while it was long overdue, it will always be a somber day for me remembering a great man who's life was cut tragically short. So will Flag Day get the job? I think not. While I guess this should not matter, Flag Day is too close to Memorial Day and the Fourth of July. My idea is to create a generic holiday and call it America Day. We can celebrate America Day in March or April. After all its a long stretch between President's Day and Memorial Day.

No comments: