Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Supreme Disappointment

Last week the Supreme Court in a 5-4 decision, ruled that the terrorists being held in Guantanamo Bay may challenge their detention in U.S. civilian courts. When it comes to the issue of the Guantanamo Bay prison, I have some mixed feelings. While I do not think that the suspected terrorists should be granted any of our Constitutional rights, I also disapprove of the terrorists being held indefinitely. So the terrorists held in "Gitmo" should have been processed with more expediency, but it should not be a matter for the Court to decide. We are now left with the hideous decision that grants these terrorists the same rights as American citizens. I fail to understand the basis for the High Court's ruling. After World War Two , The Supreme Court ruled that these rights could not benefit enemy aliens held outside the U.S. That is exactly what these terrorists are, enemy combatants. I love my Country, however I find myself very disappointed with every branch of our Government. I am soberly aware of the difference between my America, and My Grandfather's America.

No comments: