Friday, June 13, 2008

Another Stray Clinton Story

Here is another one I forgot to write about in the closing week of the Democratic nomination. Did you see Harriet Christian's outburst at the DNC Rules Committee meeting at the end of May? Harriet Christian was upset (obviously) that the vote did not go Clinton's way. Here is an excerpt of the comments made by Harriet Christian; "I'm proud to be an older American woman. ["Where are you from?" a reporter asks her.] New York City. Hillary state. The best nominee that's possible, and the Democrats are throwing the election away. For what? An inadequate black male, who would not have been running had it not been a white woman who was running for president. I'm not going to shut my mouth anymore. I can be called white but you can't be called black. That's not my America. It's equality for all of us. It's about time we all stood up for it. I'm no second class citizen. And goddamn the Democrats. "I came here for the vote of every American, and our Democratic party threw us down the tubes. I was a second class citizen before, now I'm nothing. Why? Because they want to do what they want to do. And they think we won't turn and vote for McCain. Well I got news for all of you. McCain will be the next president of the United States." OK, so Harriet Christian is an ardent Clinton supporter and was miffed in general about how the primary turned out. Hey she's entitled to her opinion. She apparently feels that racism trumped sexism, but I think Hillary lost jest because of who she is, not her gender. What I thought was really interesting was Harriet Christian's comment on race. Although she expressed it poorly, I think she meant to highlight the frustration of white folks over the race issue. Many white Americans are unwilling to even enter into a discussion about race for fear of being labeled a racist. While there is still legitimate race issues in our Country, "the race card" is played too often. The other interesting part of Christian's speech was her suggestion that herself and like-minded people were going to vote for McCain. In what should be the Democrats year, that may just be enough to turn the tide for McCain.



Related Stories:



Give Me A Break Please



When Racism Will End



We Are Way Too Sensitive

No comments: