Saturday, June 21, 2008

Summer Solstice 2008

Last night at 7:59 PM it was summer solstice, better known as the first day of summer or the longest day of the year. It always sneaks up on me when it falls on the 20th instead of the 21st. What a lot of people don't realize is that from here it's all downhill. What I mean is that from here until late December, the days are getting shorter. Although these cycles of the cosmos are fixed and were even known to the ancients, I am amazed at how much Human perception is intertwined. Take me for example, one thing that has not changed since my early school years is my perception of time as it relates to June 20 or 21. Just before Memorial Day late in May, the weather gets reliably nice and by the first day if summer I have that endless time sensation. Then the summer solstice arrives, and bang I'm chowing down on a burger at a Labor Day barbecue. One thing that is on my personal "Bucket List" is to visit way up north this time of year when the Sun does not fully set. That has to be a trip for those who have not experienced it. Anyway, happy summer solstice.

No comments: