Sunday, June 22, 2008

Perhaps I Got It Wrong

In the post "Enough Already Whitey", I said that my impression of Michelle Obama, the wife of the Democratic Nominee Senator Barack Obama, is a little negative. I went on to say that to me, she does not appear to be a warm nor especially kind person. Michelle Obama appears to me to carry around a certain bitterness and negativity. That said, in the above post it should be noted that I defended her. I am rethinking my position about Michelle Obama since I saw her co-host on "The View". Michelle Obama appeared to be warm and engaging. Of course that could be rehearsed for TV, but I want to give her the benefit of the doubt. What really got me thinking was Michelle Obama's kind thanks to First Lady Laura Bush. Michelle Obama said she was "touched" that First Lady Laura Bush came to her defense after she was harshly criticized by Republicans for her February comment that for the first time in her adult life she was proud of the United States. I think that Laura Bush is the genuine article when it comes to warmth and kindness. Michelle Obama may find herself in the First Lady role soon and would not be wrong in following Laura Bush's example. But I still hope her husband does not get elected.

No comments: