Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Johnny On The Spot

I have been doing a lot of reflecting about the Presidential election up to this point. Something occurred to me just yesterday when I wrote; "You Can Go Your Own Way". That post concerned Senator Obama and his former friend Rev. Pfleger's controversial and downright nasty comments about Hillary Clinton. That must have been the straw that broke the camel's back for Obama, who resigned from Trinity United Church of Christ, soon after Rev. Pfleger's remarks. I also focused on the fact that Obama did not speak out against Rev. Pflegr's comments with enough ire to match the terrible assault on Senator Clinton. What I realized yesterday after I wrote that story, was that Senator and Republican Presidential Nominee John McCain, responded to Rev. Pfleger's comments and defended Clinton better that Obama did. In the link above, you can read Rev. Pfleger's comments about Clinton. Obama's response was; "That is why I am deeply disappointed in Father Pfleger's divisive, backward-looking rhetoric, which doesn't reflect the country I see or the desire of people across America to come together in common cause". Obama's rebuke of Rev. Pfleger was weak and generic. By comparison, here is what McCain said; ,"I have known Senator Clinton for long time. I have always treated her with respect. I respect her and I think that kind of language and that kind of treatment of Senator Clinton is unwarranted, uncalled for and disgraceful.” McCain's rebuke of Rev. Pfleger's remarks was forceful, to the point, and defended Senator Clinton's honor . So who defended Clinton properly? Clinton' s Republican rival, or her Democratic colleague in the Senate? I know what I think, and it tells me a lot about Obama's character.

No comments: