Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Everybody's A Comedian

I think the practice of Presidential Candidates hamming it up on popular television shows began in earnest when Bill Clinton played the saxophone on the Arsenio Hall Show. I think seeing that side of him actually helped him with the popular vote. For me, it was a display of how much hot air Clinton was full of. Fast forward to the 2008 campaign, and the Candidates appearing on popular television shows is the norm. The question I am considering is, whether this a good thing or has it become trite and overdone. In an earlier post "Here's Johnny", I talked about the Candidate's appearance last month on the hit show American Idol. I thought that it was a good idea because the Candidate's appeared on Idol's annual charity fundraising show. McCain even made us laugh when he shot the Democrats a zinger about Michigan and Florida. The television talk show circuit is not exactly a new idea for Presidential Candidates, and since it is usually an interview, I am alright with that. I even thought the Candidates (and John Edward) were funny in their respective appearances on Comedy Central's Jon Stewart Show. I wonder if we have taken it too far and where the trend is going. This thought occurred to me after the Candidate's appearance on World Wrestling Entertainment's live "Monday Night Raw". To say that their appearances were cheesy, would be a gross understatement. Decide for yourselves. Hillary Clinton said; "Tonight, in honor of the WWE, you can call me Hillrod". What a disturbing image that was. Barack Obama or should I call him Rock Obama said; "I've got one question: Do you smell what Barack is cooking?" I smell it alright Mr. Senator. McCain said; "And whatcha gonna do when John McCain and all his McCainiacs run wild on you?" I just pray he does not rip his shirt off. I suppose in the end the Candidate's appearance on the WWE was appropriate. Much like professional wrestling is fake and bad acting, so have politics become.

No comments: