Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day 2008

Today is Memorial Day, the traditional kickoff of the summer season. Where I live in the northeast, the weather has been the most perfect of any Memorial Day weekend that I can recall. This weekend has so many meanings with deep roots in our American culture. Families and friends will come together for barbeque's and many seasonal businesses cast their hopes for a successful summer. It is nothing less than a tragedy, that many will not stop for just a moment today, and consider just what Memorial Day is all about. That tragedy is magnified with this year, being another in which so many of our young men and women are in harms way. I could never understand those Americans who do not appreciate the service of out soldiers. When a soldier is called upon to serve, he/she does not question the nature of that service. They simply and faithfully answer the call of the Country that they love so much. I respect those opinions that are different from my own, after all that it what America is all about. In fact, last week I met with a close friend of mine, who stands 100% opposed to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. What he and I do have in common is a great love and respect for our military. I call on all Americans to honor the fallen soldiers of today and years past, this Memorial Day. Please keep the soldiers and their families in your hearts and your prayers. God Bless America.

No comments: