Saturday, May 10, 2008

No Thanks, Mr. Hanks

In the articles "He's Not The Boss Of Me" and "Madman Across The Water", I expressed my dim view of any and all celebrity endorsements. In the aforementioned posts I wrote about singers Elton John and Bruce Springsteen. It just so happens that they are two of my favorite artists. That is actually and understatement. It would be more accurate to say that their music has been a very important part of my life. That said, I wish that they would stick with making music and can the political endorsements. The latest big celeb to endorse is Oscar winning actor Tom Hanks, also one of my personal favorites. I think that Tom Hanks is one of the most gifted actors of all time. Now Hanks has very publicly endorsed Senator Barack Obama for President. Hanks made a video endorsement that was released on the Internet. At least Hanks showed that he was still grounded when he titled the video; "Beware: Celebrity Endorsement." Hanks also showed his famous sense of humor in the video saying; As an official celebrity, I know my endorsement has just made your mind up for you." Tom Hanks seems to get what I am saying here, but I still wish he would stay out of politics and act or get into politics and give up acting. With all of my heart I do not wish to silence the voice of any American, but when celebrities use their status to influence an election, it's just plain wrong.

No comments: