Saturday, May 10, 2008

Laughing All The Way To The Bank

Oil hit another record high today. It closed at over 126 dollars per barrel today. I have seen some analysts on television predict gas which is now about $3.60 per gallon, could go as high a five dollars per gallon. I can't get the thought out of my head of how will my family and so many other families survive this. My family has been forced to cut back our spending in other areas to offset the rising price of gas and food. I can not remember a worse economic climate in my almost four decades. My friends and relatives have all made changes in spending as well. One friend of mine, has even gone as far as to begin raising some livestock on his relatively small property for eggs and meat. At first I teased him, and later wish that I had enough land to do as much. I can remember just a year or two ago when a dozen eggs were $.99. Now that same dozen eggs is $2.89! It seems clear that our Government will be unwilling to help us anytime soon in this election year. I am deeply concerned about how lower income American families and the poorer Nations of the World will endure these times. I am already expanding my modest garden. If this keeps up, I just might turn the whole damn yard over and plant some corn. To be used for ethanol of course.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In the UK petrol (gas) is the equivalent of $10.00 a gallon - I don't understand what you're complaining about.