Friday, May 23, 2008

Feeling Unstimulated

We are well into the distribution of the Federal stimulus checks that cost our Government a gazillion dollars. Families will receive about six hundred bucks on average, depending on your tax filing circumstances. I have not gotten mine as of yet, but I got to thinking today about how I am going to spend it. Something occurred to me as I walked through my local "warehouse club" store, where you find mostly items in bulk. While I have noticed prices steadily climbing each month I shop there, the jump in prices from April to May, left me with a severe sticker shock today. So I thought back a few months ago, to when The President and Congress conjured up this stimulus package. I guess it was a good idea, but it did not quite work out like they intended it to. The stimulus package was supposed to infuse Americans with cash so that they could (hopefully) spend it quickly and put the paddles on the heart of our ailing economy. Consider this though, since that time, a barrel of oil is 40 dollars more, and the prices of foods and services have spiked dramatically. I like many Americans, will probably use this money just to keep up and not have much left over for extra spending. Looking back Congress should have called it the "break even package".

No comments: