Thursday, May 8, 2008

House Of Horrors Update

In the stories "Crikey" and "Sorry Mates", I looked in disgust upon the story about the Austrian man who imprisoned and raped his own daughter for the last 24 years, ultimately fathering 7 children by her. We have come to learn that the man, Josef Fritzl, was plotting the imprisonment of his then teenage daughter for six years prior to the act. Police also described the elaborate planning behind and structure of Fritzl's basement dungeon. I did not think it could get more depraved or bizarre than that. A recent update of the story with some new statements by Fritzl have hit a 10 on my creep-o-meter. Fritzl said; "My drive to have sex with Elisabeth grew stronger and stronger, I knew Elisabeth didn't want me to do what I did to her. I knew that I was hurting her. ... It was like an addiction ... In reality, I wanted children with her." That's just sick. Seriously sick. His daughter also told Police that Fritzl began to molest her when she was just 11 years old. Something else a little off topic, struck me through the horror of this story. It was when Fritzl said he was no "monster" and "I could have killed all of them -- then nothing would have happened. No one would have ever known about it." I wondered, if his acts do not earn him the title, then how does he define a "monster"? Then when Fritzl said that the media's coverage of his story has been "totally one-sided", I wondered what other side? There is nothing that could possible explain his actions short of that they were the last two humans on Earth and were forced to re-populate the species. Even then I am not sure he is free of guilt. I amazes me how people will attempt to defend their position regardless of the horrible nature of their actions. Does Fritzl really think we got it all wrong. Boo Hoo we have been unfair to him. Perhaps he would like us to enter him in the newly created "father/grandfather of the year award" contest.

No comments: