Thursday, May 1, 2008

Friends In Low Places

It seems to me that President Bush has been the target of more criticism and the butt of more jokes than any other Commander In Chief that I can recall. Of course that is all a matter of perception, and somebody who feels that it is all justified, probably thinks it has not been enough. Whether or not you are a Bush supporter, we all know that his approval numbers have been in the dumpster for a long time. The Associated Press-Ipsos poll had President Bush's approval rating at only 30 percent. While I suppose that is not a big surprise to many, it is astonishing to me that nearly three quarters of the Americans polled, disapprove of their President. To be fair to President Bush, there is not a whole heck of a lot of things going right in our Country at this time, and it's not all his fault. What really grabbed my attention in the AP poll, was the approval rating of Congress. I was shocked to learn that only 22 percent of those polled thought that Congress was doing a good job. That means 4 out of every 5 Americans think Congress is doing a piss poor job. Who am I to argue because they are so right. With all of the shots constantly directed at President Bush, I was amazed to see that Congress actually has a lower approval rating. By far the biggest shocker, was to learn that the Congress typically does have a lower approval rating than the seated President. If I were Bush, the next time I drew harsh criticism from a member of Congress, I would say that at least I'm doing a better job than you guys are.

No comments: